I have been wanting to make a pizza crust with cauliflower instead of regular pizza dough for a while but never seem to have the chance. I wasn’t sure this would be a dinner favorite at the house so I usually opt for the regular version when we do make pizza (which is fairly often). This week I decided to do a small personal pie using cauliflower crust instead of regular pizza crust for my own weekday lunch so I could experiment and see if this would work for dinner too. It definitely does NOT give you the crispy crust that traditional pizza would allow for, but it does hold together decently well and is a far healthier alternative (great for those who are gluten-free too). I totally devoured the pizza in about 5 minutes so I guess you would have to say it was a success? I would make this again for dinner I think, but need to figure out ways to make it crispier! The best part – it only took me 45 minutes or so start to finish to put this together.
I topped my pizza with regular tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, yellow summer squash, red onions, and tomatoes. Love this combination!. If I wasn’t being lazy, I would have sautéd the veggies a bit before putting them on the pizza, but it tasted great all the same.
I start by grating the cauliflower. This always gets messy!
After I pop the cauliflower into the microwave, its ready for its mix-ins. I start with the spices first.
Then I combine the egg and cheeses and spread the crust into a baking dish.
While its in the oven baking, I cut up my pizza toppings: squash, tomato and red onions.
When the crust comes out of the oven, its ready for toppings. I assemble my pizza and add some crushed red pepper and basil. I can’t eat pizza without crushed red pepper!
After about 10 more minutes in the oven, its ready! Ooey-gooey and super tasty.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup grated cauliflower
- 1/2 of a beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Pizza toppings
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Microwave cauliflower for about 6-7 minutes until soft and it has reduced in size
- Let cool completely (I put it in the fridge for 10 minutes or so). Its important to do this otherwise the egg will scramble when you pour it in
- Combine cauliflower with spices and cheeses.
- Crack egg in a separate bowl and mix. Pour about half of this mixture into the cauliflower mix.
- Stir the mixture until smooth.
- Spread cauliflower mixture onto a well-greased pizza pan or cookie sheet
- Bake in over for about 12-15 minutes until brown all over (especially the edges)
- Remove from oven, let cool slightly
- Assemble with favorite pizza toppings and spray a little bit of cooking spray on top.
- Bake in the oven for another 10 minutes until cheese has melted and toppings are slightly browned.