What’s better than a summertime grill-fest and a side of macaroni salad? In my opinion, pretty much nothing. Last night we grilled up some tofu using a barbecue marinade and I made this salad. VERY easy to put together, but it came out great so I thought it was worth posting. Our garden is finally giving us some veggies, and I got to use some of those in this recipe too.
Next time I would sub in some greek yogurt for all or some of the mayo since that would make it a whole lot healthier, but since I had never really made macaroni salad before, I kept it basic (and full of mayo). We did add some vegan sausage to amp up the flavor and I made tons extra so I can eat it for the next few days!
I start by cooking the pasta. I used macaroni elbows, but just about any small pasta would work.
I cut up all the veggies and combine them. The key is choosing crunchy veggies that hold up in a salad. I used bell pepper, carrots, and red and green onions.
I make the vegan sausage. I am not a huge fan of “fake meats” but I don’t mind them once in a while and it worked well in this.
I make the sauce by whisking together all the ingredients – it was sweet, tangy and creamy! Everything comes together in no time at all!
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups pasta elbows
- 2 vegan sausages, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- A bunch of green onions, chopped
- Half of a red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons black pepper (for sausage and for sauce)
- Little bit of oil for cooking the sausage
- Cook the pasta according to directions. Set aside.
- In a small pan, heat up some oil and throw in the vegan sausage. Season with black pepper as its cooking. Let the sausage get brown. Set aside.
- Combine the mayo, vinegar, mustard seasonings and whisk together. Taste and add any seasoning that may be missing.
- Once the pasta is cool, add the vegetables, sausage, and the sauce. Mix well.
- Refrigerate for about 3-4 hours before serving.