Who doesn’t love a good munchkin? I am a sucker for them every time I grab a coffee at Dunkin’ Donuts (my favorite place to get coffee – after all, I AM from New England) so I wanted to try and recreate a delicious munchkin at home. These took less than 30 minutes to make and were a perfect treat!
I start by getting the munchkin batter ready with the dry ingredients.
Then I add in the wet ingredients.
The batter is ready for frying!
They look like jumbo-sized munchkins.
I make the chocolate glaze, starting by adding the flour with the cocoa powder.
I roll the munchkins in the glaze and the coconut. All ready to eat!
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 5 minutes
Serves: Makes about 15 large munchkins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Toasted coconut flakes for garnish
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add in the oil, milk, and egg. Mix well.
- In a large wok, heat up the vegetable oil on the stove until it reaches about 350 degrees.
- Using a small ice cream scooper, take about 1 tablespoon of mixture and drop into oil.
- Fry for two minutes on each side, until golden brown. Continue until all are fried. (Check one to make sure its fully cooked on the inside)
- Remove munchkins and place on paper towel to soak up oil.
- To make chocolate glaze, combine confectioner’s sugar with cocoa powder.
- Add in the milk and vanilla mixture slowly, stirring until it becomes pourable.
- Roll each munchkin in the chocolate glaze and then in the coconut flakes.