Happy Mother’s Day! I think these cupcakes are a perfect mother’s day post because they bring back memories of the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches my mom used to make for me most days to take to school when I was a kid. I don’t miss grade school very much, but I do get nostalgic about those bagged lunches that were always waiting for me as I ran out the door to catch the bus.
These white cupcakes have a strawberry preserve filling and are topped with peanut butter frosting. They really did remind me of eating a super delicious PB&J sandwich. I loved the strawberry flavor but my husband recommends using grape jelly for the filling so that it tastes more like the PB&J sandwiches of his childhood. Whichever filling you choose, you can’t go wrong!
I start by making the cupcakes. I use a recipe I found online on food.com for a simple white cupcake.
While the cupcakes are baking, I make the peanut butter frosting by using another easy recipe I found online.
The cupcakes come out of the oven looking perfect.
I bought this fun cupcake plunger a few weeks ago, so I use that to make the holes in the cupcakes for the filling.
Then I fill each cupcake with strawberry preserves.
I tried to frost the cupcakes to look like the ones at cupcake stores but it really didn’t work out so then I topped each with a dollop of preserves and a peanut!
Prep Time: 1.5 hours (including decorating the cupcakes) Cook Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk (or more as needed)
- Strawberry preserves (one small jar to fill cupcakes as needed)
- Peanuts for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
- Combine the white sugar and butter in a bowl with an electric hand or stand mixer.
- Add in the eggs slowly, continuing to mix.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, flour, and baking powder and mix well.
- Add in the milk and combine until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners until each is about 3/4 of the way full.
- Put the cupcakes in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the frosting by combining the butter and peanut butter in a bowl with an electric hand or stand mixer.
- Add in the confectioner’s sugar and combine until the frosting is thick.
- Add in the milk one tablespoon at a time to make the frosting more spreadable. Beat the frosting for a few minutes until it is creamy.
- Refrigerate the frosting for 15-20 minutes to let it harden a little bit.
- Take the cupcakes out of the oven and allow them to cool completely (15-20 minutes).
- Use the cupcake plunger to make holes in each cupcake and fill each with about 2 tablespoons of the strawberry preserves.
- Either using a decorative bag with the frosting inside of it or a butter knife, spread the frosting over each cupcake.
- Garnish with a dollop of strawberry preserves and a peanut and serve!