Whats your favorite girl scout cookie? Mine is without a doubt, Samoa’s! When I was a girl scout, I used to hoard boxes of these (I think then they were called Coconut Delite’s then) and I could polish off an entire box all by myself. And now anytime I know a girl scout selling cookies, I buy at least 6 boxes of Samoa’s. The coconut, chocolate, caramel goodness are just too much.
I bought toasted coconut flakes a few weeks ago so I started looking up recipes to make homemade samoa cookies but honestly, it seemed a little too complicated and I was feeling pretty lazy last night. BUT I still wanted to make something sweet. So I took the easy way out and used a brownie mix but added homemade caramel sauce, coconut and chocolate drizzle. These things were better than the cookies, which is a bad thing because now I can make them any time of year! Ahhh.
I start by preparing the brownie mixture and getting that into the oven.
Then I get the ingredients ready for the caramel sauce. Its so simple to make caramel sauce at home – I had no clue! This is totally going to change my ice cream nights (don’t ask me how many times I have those).
The caramel sauce is done in about 10-15 minutes. The most annoying part is the fact that you have to stir constantly so nothing burns.
Once the brownies are done and cooled, its time to top with the caramel sauce, coconut flakes and chocolate drizzle.
Drizzling the chocolate on top was the hardest part, so I honestly only did it on a few to take a few fun pictures. This was for home consumption (god help me) but if I was going to do this for a party, I would drizzle away!
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup light cream (or heavy cream if you want!)
- Brownie mix
- Toasted coconut flakes (or untoasted and you can toast them yourself)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Make the brownies according to package directions. Or make your own brownies from scratch!
- While brownies are baking, prepare the caramel sauce. First heat up the sugar in a sauce pan on medium heat. Stir constantly until the sugar becomes brownish and then turns to liquid form.
- Add the butter to the sugar and continue to stir until the butter melts through. The mixture will bubble significantly but that is normal.
- Slowly add the light cream, stirring small amounts into the mixture. Stir constantly for a few minutes as the mixture starts to rise. Remove from heat and let cool.
- When brownies are done, remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the brownies. I pre-cut the brownies and then added caramel sauce individually.
- Add toasted coconut flakes to each brownie, covering fully. If you don’t have toasted coconuts, you could easily roast them in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Melt some chocolate chips in the microwave (or over the stovetop) for 30 seconds at a time until the chocolate chips are lightly melted.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the chocolate over the brownies. The chocolate will harden so you will have to continue to remelt it between drizzles.